Tuesday, July 8, 2014

To Honor my Grandma

My last grandparent passed away on June 28. My Grandma lived in the lower part of the state, so we've lived apart my whole life. We visited a few times a year when I was a child and less as I became an adult and had a family of my own. I know that's sounds so shameful, but life often does that to us, it keeps us busy and separated. Earlier in June, my Grandma was hospitalized and during that time the doctors found a cancerous spot on one of her lungs and a tumor in her brain. She fought hard for 2 weeks and then was graciously ushered into Heaven on a peaceful Saturday morning. I am thankful her doctors and nurses were compassionate and prevented any pain and suffering as best they could. I am thankful her children were all given time to spend with her individually and as a group, even if toward the end she wasn't aware that they were even there. I am thankful that I took the kids to her 90th birthday party in May and my last memory was me hugging her when we said our goodbyes. I know by going through this past month that I come from a long line of tough women and that makes me proud. My Grandma lived a hard life, some of which I watched, most I heard stories about. But don't we all endure some kind of hardship in life, that's part of being a human in a sinful world. I hope it can be said of me that I fought hard and that I will one day pass peacefully just like she did. It is one of the greatest desires of my heart to hear, "Well done, my faithful servant."
I was interested to know that my Grandma was known for her outstanding culinary skills and that she worked in a cafeteria for quite some time. She retired, finally, at the age of 80. I like to think she passed her love of cooking through the blood, because I don't ever recall being in the kitchen with her. She did pass on this recipe for an awesome coconut cake, one I affectionately have named...

Grandma Cotton's Coconut Cake

1 yellow cake mix
1 16 oz sour cream
2 c sugar
1 10 oz bag of coconut
1 8 oz cool whip

Bake the cake mix according to it's instructions in 2 round pans. Mix sour cream, sugar and 3/4 of
the bag of coconut. Once the cake layers have cooled cut them in half making four layers.
Spread the coconut mixture between the layers, top with cool whip and remaining coconut.

*** My Grandma's original recipe says to let the cake sit in the fridge for 3 days.***
This has never been possible, ever, in the history of my making this cake. 
This cake is so moist and delicious. It usually slides off itself in the cake plate and we have to just flip the cake plate and scoop it out when we serve it.
Like Daddy says though, the ugliest cakes always taste the best.

I am going to make this cake this week in her honor and send it with Bryan to share at work. I may let it sit a few days just like Grandma made it. I have a feeling it will be better on the third day, maybe Grandma was onto something. I'm sure she was hoping we'd learn to slow down and enjoy the good stuff.....

Ada Lucille Driggers Cotton
May 14, 1924 ~ June 28, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment