Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Banjo

Blake had his first banjo lesson last night. He started to ask about getting a banjo around Christmas so I suggested he take a few lessons to be sure he would like playing the banjo. He has never made an attempt to play any musical instrument so this is a new endeavor. My dad's side of the family is very musically talented and most of my uncles and my grandfather can play some type of bluegrass instrument. I grew up hearing my grandpa pick the banjo and he had a long standing tradition of holding bluegrass jam sessions every Saturday night when he ran Cuzzins store. It was always a packed house and people spilled out into the parking lot and around the gas pumps to play and listen. I wish Blake had the opportunity to experience that and to have had the chance to play with grandpa. He mentioned that he wished whoever inherited my grandpa's banjo would let him have it, fat chance there buddy!! I am proud of Blake for trying new things and broadening his horizons. He's always been on the adventurous side.

~Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment