Sunday, May 11, 2014

National Police Week 2014

May 11-17 is National Police Week. This time is set aside to show appreciation to our law enforcement officers and to honor those who have died in the line of duty. This week means a lot to me as a LEO wife. I am proud of my husband every day. I see how he loves his career and how it is most certainly his calling in life. He is dedicated and honorable and he is a great leader in his department. His shift is our family, we live our lives together and we understand this life in a way other people cannot. We suffered loss in our LEO family four years ago when one of Bryan's officers died in the line of duty. I have never experienced anything more heart wrenching than riding in my husband's patrol car while leading a several mile long procession of grieving officers. scared wives, shocked people. And as we rode under the American flag suspended by fire trucks, a dispatcher tried one last time to raise his on the radio, Charlie 7...county, Charlie 7... county, Charlie 7 end of watch. It was at that very moment in the silence with tears streaming down my face that I realized exactly what my husband wearing a badge meant. It meant that on any day, at any time, I could have the same thing happen to me. I could hear him called on the radio for the last time. In my opinion, it takes a hero to pin on a badge and protect us from the evil of this world.

Say thank you to the next officer you see, it will make his or her day.

~Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment