Friday, October 3, 2014

A Story about a Pot

Yesterday was just another average ordinary day for the Long family. There was school and work, after school pickup, a run to Walmart, and a stop for puppy food for our Sadie. I tried to hurry through these chores because for one, I hate going to Walmart, and I had planned to make soup for dinner and I knew I would need some time to prep it. So, we got home, unloaded, and I got right to chopping veggies for my soup. This is my favorite part actually. I love the rhythm of chopping and I love the sound the knife makes as it's doing it's thing. It is so relaxing to me to cook. Until... I reached for my very favorite cast iron dutch oven, pulled off the lid, and to my horror I discovered this.



The enamel on the inside is cracked and flaking off. Pain shot through my chest, literally, and I gasped in shock. I'm not sure what happened to my beloved pot, either I just cooked it to death or my accidentally leaving it in the oven while I was preheating just did it in. I immediately text Bryan to let him know how heartbroken I was over the death of my pot. He understood and tried to comfort me as best he could via text.  I fully realize that if you are not a foodie, as I am, you cannot possibly understand my feelings about this pot. I loved this thing... we cooked delicious meals together, like a friend in the kitchen, it was the best pot and the thought of doing without it was just too much to bear. I did tear up... but I collected myself and went on to cook my soup but it just wasn't the same.


 
one last pic for memory's sake




It was about time for Bryan to get home from work and my soup was done. I hear the front door open and turn around to see Bryan carrying in a box.... that held a brand new enameled cast iron pot!!! Yes, I did burst into tears and give him the biggest hug I could. Having him buy this pot for me was by far the most grand expression of love I have ever experienced. And before you write me off as a complete loon, let me explain. I never expected him to replace my pot. I only shared my sadness about my broken pot because that's what you do in marriage. Good and bad, happy and sad, whatever it may be, we share it with each other. But here's the good part, he knows me so well and he knew what to do to make me happy. He knows that cooking is a passion of mine and that to be without my pot would be a catastrophe. And later when we discussed how special him buying the new pot was to me, he told me he went to four stores looking for one and did it in less than one hour from the time I text him. This speaks volumes to me. You see, I didn't ask him to, he didn't need time to think about it, it was instinctual, second nature, to think of me and to strive to meet my needs. And because he knows me and loves me, he knew just how to do it. He was surprised when I told him how the pot made me feel. And he said he was just trying to make me not be sad. But what he did was so much more... and I hope that I recognize the opportunity to do the same thing for him when he needs it from me. Marriage is hard and it takes a lot of work to maintain a good healthy one... hat's off to you my dear, you knocked it out of the park today. I love you!!
my new pot (thanks baby)


~Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment